Hebrews 11:6

"...for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

typical

typical

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Things you thought you'd never do

When I graduated from college bound for the altar and the classroom, there were some things that I vowed I would NEVER do. Some were based on stereotypes of teachers and some on stereotypes of wives and mothers, but either way I would be different.

*The first declaration dealt with big hair and big bangs.

*The second was thematic clothing of any type - namely dealing with holidays. I would never wear Rudolph sweaters with red noses, or jingle bell earrings (and even though one of my siblings swears that this had to do with the teaching of elementary school.... I swore I would never cave).

*The last was owning a van. To me a van was a sign of a dorky soccer mom.... and while I wanted to be a mom and I indeed played (and coached) soccer, somehow this was a sign of weakness. But one day I woke up and realized I was a mom! And now that I have 3 kids, there were some serious advantages to owning a van..... the number one in my mind was the power sliding door that I can control from my key fob! I wanted space, convenience of my children being able to get in and out of their own, and all the special perks they add to vans just for mamas! Either way - I have been coveting vans for 6 months and as of this weekend, I now have one of my own. Key fob activating door and everything. Now we're living the life.

I suppose if you break one vow of what you'll never do you should somehow change or create a new one. So in order to do this publicly, I will do so now. I vow to never put a 13.1 sticker or stick figures of my family members (or pets even though I believe this should go without saying) on the back of my van. Sorry Tiff.

6 comments:

Beth said...

What is a 13:1 sticker? You know how i feel about the whole sticker thing, too. the only sticker our van sports is the school sticker to keep it from being towed from the parking lot--and that one is a cling to the inside of my window. Welcome to mini-van-world, that is one spic-n-span shiny van--you will come to appreciate it even more!

Ruth Vann said...

Courtney, I'll have you know that I have a sticker of a girl and a bunny on the back of my car. But no worries, I put it on there as my passive aggressive way of communicating a mockery of the perfect family stickers. Plus, I want to attract a rabbit loving man while in traffic.

Jenny said...

Woohoo! Welcome to the Swagger Wagon Club! It's where all the cool kids are...um,right? So happy that you will finally have the comforts and convenience that only a minivan can bring to parents who are outnumbered by their children.

T.Co. Photo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Cornwalls said...

TWO things for the record...

ONE- I did NOT wear themed sweaters!!! (ok, ONE Christmas sweater in a week moment. I taught for 5 years, one time isn't bad)
TWO- I DO NOT have stick figures on the back of my van. The (pink) 13.1 is well deserved... but no stick figures here!!

Isn't it funny you kick and scream on the path to van ownership... but once you get there you actually quite enjoy it :)

Love you!! Welcome to mother of 3 world!!

The McNabb's said...

Clint hates the stick figures SO much. So for April Fool's this year (right after we had Jane), I put a sticker family on his car (Dad, Mom, Baby, and Dog). It took him 2 days to notice, but when he did, he said he walked right past his car because he thought, "No way this is my car." SOOOOOOO funny!!!!! Love the van, enjoy!