Hebrews 11:6

"...for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

typical

typical

Friday, August 3, 2012

Today is the Day....

There is something extremely special about having a little girl after having two boys.  I love my boys.  I love them so much, but having a girl last is a totally different experience.  I told myself when she was born that I would NOT baby her.  Even though she was a girl, I would treat her the same.  She would NOT be a princess....I told myself....

It didn't take long to realize there are certain survival tactics that happen with a third.  Most stereotypes exist for a reason, and she is indeed our baby.  So as I cook dinner and she is screaming at my feet, I hand her a piece of cheese.  Or as I'm carrying on a conversation and she is screaming I either: a.give her some of my food, b.put her on my lap, or c. pick her up.  I sometimes put her in her crib to gain control.  But she IS LITTLE....right.... I have realized these are behaviors that teach a child to scream to get what they want (and I don't ALWAYS cave.... REALLY).  And I know I need to break them....and I will.... I will....





Either way, today is the day I decided to just let her feed herself.  Not because I wanted to have a child that could self-feed with a spoon, but because I wanted a child who would stop screaming at me. 

Score:  Eliza-1 Mommy-0
 
  
This is the face of a child who knows they have won.



Don't climb in that stroller, it is NOT for climbing and riding in. 

 
Score:  Eliza-2  Mommy-0


But isn't there something to letting your children do things that makes them happy so you can get something done?  Surviving?  Isn't there something about choosing your battles.... right.... RIGHT?!!!

Oh - well.  I will choose to start this battle at 18 months.  And I suppose I've chosen not to battle the stroller and she is the last and it needs not survive another child.  I'm such a push over.  I'll let you know how that goes.

1 comment:

Beth said...

LOL on this post! I honestly think what happens with each kid is that the parents get smarter. We realize that not only do we not need to battle everything, but not everything even needs to be a battle! Let that kid feed herself--absolutely! Let her climb in the stroller--if she gets hurt, maybe she'll learn faster! :) You are a GREAT mom, and you have GREAT kids. love you, courtney!!