Hebrews 11:6

"...for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

typical

typical

Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Things They Say


I have always heard that once kids start talking....you often wish they could go back to being quiet. But this has not been the case for me. I am such a people-person that it has been a delight to add a jabber-box to my world - and he truly is. Steven Edward has hit the stage where he knows words for EVERYTHING. This is actually harder than the previous stage, because then I always knew what he was saying because his words were limited. Now he has so many words! And he ALWAYS knows what he is saying. So it is up to me to decipher. But it is a fun game...slightly similar to Mad Gab (which some of you may know that I am quite good at). I love finding out what is in their little heads....and hearing them repeat exactly the things you say. He has taken to coming in the room while I'm cleaning up and saying, "Good job, mama!" I suppose I always praise him when he helps me. Who knew?

A couple weeks ago he was very upset about something trivial (go figure...a toddler?) so I looked at him as he walked and wailed and said, "Steven, that is not necessary." As he gasped for breath in the middle of a cry he screams, "Is necessary!" That was the end of that. I had to turn around to avoid him seeing me erupt into laughter.

And then today was the first time I'd ever heard him, unprompted, use the word "the". We were getting out of the car heading into a store and he told me, "no rain mama." I assumed he meant he wanted it to stop raining, and I'm thinking....me too sweetie....but our luck hasn't been so good this month. So I just way, "Sweetie, I can't make it stop raining. God makes it rain. God makes the rain."

"Yea," he replies. He stops and thinks and says, "God makes the cars come too mama." He then proceeded to list things that he understood God made. The next was cheese and then Sam. I know it seems like Sam got shafted because cheese got the higher seat in his brother's mind....but if he only knew how much Steven loved cheese. I was just proud Sam made the top four. It was really cute.

He has also taken to saying, "Happy Birthday to you _______ (ex. cars)" and then starting to sing to them.

There are tons of others...but I thought I would just give you a taste. On completely different note, this morning I ran my first race in a little over 3 years. I ran a 5K with two other moms. Our goal was to finish and we did it with flying colors! 10 years ago I would have laughed at the thought of training for a 5k. But 10 years and two babies later...I'm rather proud.

2 comments:

Beth and Chris Maslin said...

Congratulations on finishing the race. I love your stories about the daily adventures of the Breedlove boys!

Tripp said...

Wow, that's super impressive. Way to go on the 5K!!
I love the "necessary" comment....so funny.
I miss you sweet friend.

Heather
p.s. I know it says Tripp, but this is really Heather:)