Hebrews 11:6

"...for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

typical

typical

Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Joys of 18 months apart

This story may sound like a sitcom of some type.... but seriously..... this is my life.


Thanks to my mother, Steven Edward is obsessed (and has been for almost a year now) with the movie Cars. He can tell you every character and give you a play by play of certain parts of the movie by memory. Signs of a good mom right? Either way - we have an amazing neighbor who keeps my boys quite a lot. This morning when she came over she very generously brought over some Christmas gifts for the boys. Sam's gift happened to be bath toys with a Cars theme. So at 11:30 in the morning my oldest was adamant about taking a bath. And I, being an incredibly wise mother, have found that if I don't need to say no..... it is often easier just to go along with it. I mean, why don't we bathe at mid day. At this point I can think of no real reason..... so with 20 minutes to go until Anna (the little girl I keep) comes we strip down and have an afternoon bath. Everything is going well - the toys are a hit and the boys are having a great time. Sam, has a habit of drinking the water. This is something we are trying to work on, but it seems to be slow going. Well evidently while I was looking at Steven, Sam took an especially soapy swig which induced a small vomiting situation. I say.... "well I suppose we're done with the bath." Steven Edward is not so keen on this idea - and seeing as I have to tend to the youngest anyway, (and obviously the spit up will be diluted by water right? - this is the point where a mother of one is currently horrified) I leave Steven in the tub. Sam and I head out of the room to find him some clothes. We return to a happy Steven, who at this point, still doesn't want to get out of the tub. Asking turns to warning, which turns to tantrum. So I sit Sam on the floor to pull out a screaming 2.5 year old. Before I even get Steven raised to eye level I hear a thump. I look to the right to see a fully clothed Sam diving into the tub. He looks up at me and smiles a smile of triumph as he clutches the toy he desires. Once he realizes he is wet, he starts to cry. Meanwhile Steven is still screaming..... so I put him down to pull Sam out of the tub. A sopping Sam crawls behind us like a slug leaving his trail, as I carry Steven Edward to his room to get him dressed. In the midst of this, Anna and her father enter the scene. I say, "Yea, we were just taking a mid day bath and Sam decided to jump in fully clothed." This is normal right? He should feel totally comfortable leaving his daughter with me as a chorus of cries echo in the background. Sigh.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

This is one of my favorite Courtney stories. Love you!

Beth said...

LOVE this story! Totally made me laugh this morning--you have come sooooo far, my friend!

Anonymous said...

Courtney, thank you for sharing your stories with us. I am currently laughing out loud at work. Merry Christmas!!! Ursula

Unknown said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this story!! And, yes, I'd leave my kids with you at any point--you're awesome!! I think I've lived that moment, too...
:) See you soon!
love, Sarah